Asset 2Asset 5Asset 6Asset 3Asset 2 1Asset 4

Travel Grants

The Graduate Student Travel Grant Program has been established to support travel of graduate students related to research. Funds may be used by graduate students to present the results of their TCU research or to conduct research related to their field of study. Students from all academic departments are welcome and encouraged to submit grant applications.

Report on Grants

In fiscal year 2016-2017, over $38,000 was awarded in Graduate Travel Grants to support the research related travels of 80 graduate students. Students traveled to international destinations such as Spain, Germany, Vietnam, Czech Republic, and the United Kingdom, as well as 20 different U.S. states.

In fiscal year 2015-2016, over $33,000 was awarded in Graduate Travel Grants to support the research related travels of 74 graduate students. Students traveled to international destinations such as Cuba, Peru, Spain, Mexico, Canada, Denmark, and Panama, as well as 23 different U.S. states.

In fiscal year 2014-2015, over $37,000 was awarded in Graduate Travel Grants to support the research related travels of 73 graduate students. Students traveled to international destinations such as Germany, Canada, and Panama, as well as 22 different U.S. states and Washington, D.C.

Application Information

Maximum award is $400 for domestic travel and $800 for an international destination. Limited funds are available; grant award will be determined, up to the fund limits, by the Associate Provost’s office. Priority will be given to students who have not received a previous travel award, and students may not receive more than one award during an academic year (June 1 through May 31).

In previous years, there were separate funds for travel grants: Graduate Student Senate (GSS) and Graduate Studies. GSS and Graduate Studies have combined Travel Grant funds. While co-funded by GSS, the office of Graduate Studies administers the Graduate Student Travel Grants.

For travel between June 1, 2017-May 31, 2018:


Applications must be submitted 30 days prior to travel to be considered. Proof of attendance for travel grants must be submitted to the Office of Graduate Studies (3101 Sadler Hall). Incomplete applications will be returned to applicant for necessary revisions. Travel must be completed for funds to be disbursed. Class trips and travel for class projects are not eligible for Graduate Travel Grants.

Note: We ask that you provide photographs of you presenting, doing research, networking, etc. while on your sponsored trip. These pictures will appear on the Graduate Studies website and Facebook page, and/or GSS website. If you do not have a digital camera, one will be provided for you for a limited period of time. Email a completed photo release form and your pictures at the time you submit your reimbursement form: Photo Release Form.


The Office of Graduate Studies will review all applications. Limited funds are available for travel, so be sure to apply as soon as you have confirmation of travel. Applicant will be notified via email. TCU graduate students are eligible for one Travel Grant per academic year (June 1-May 31).


The Travel Grants are dispersed as reimbursements. Turn in your completed reimbursement form with original receipts and photographs to the Office of Graduate Studies (3101 Sadler Hall) within 30 days of travel. Detailed instructions will be provided in the email notification.

The TCU Reimbursement form can be found on the Office of Finance & Administration page for Financial Services Forms.

Graduate students who are TCU employees or hold a TCU assistantship that pays a stipend may request an advance for travel related to their TCU program of study and for which they have University funding. Requests for advances must be approved by the academic program dean or the TCU Dean of Graduate Studies. Once the travel has been completed, a request for reimbursement must be filed within 30 days of return. If the reimbursement is not filed within this period, the outstanding advance amount may be deducted from the student’s paycheck or stipend check to cover the advance. Graduate students who are not employees or assistants with a stipend are not eligible for advances. They can ask an advisor in the department of their discipline to get an advance in their name and then indicate on the reimbursement from that the funding source is to pay back the advance.

Please submit completed application forms to Dr. Bonnie Melhart, Associate Provost, 3101 Sadler Hall.

Please note that all applications must contain the endorsements of the Department Advisor/Chair and the Dean.